The next belt grading is scheduled for Sunday March 19/2017 from 3:00-5:00 pm sharp. We ask that those considering testing please see Mr. Karsch as soon as possible to discuss your readiness for the grading.
The testing fee is $40.00 per student. Please ensure that you remember to bring the following so that your participation is guaranteed:
1. Uniform and belt (if you forget your belt you will not be allowed to test)
2. Taekwondo manual
3. Sparring gear (if you have) – if you are interested in owning your own set, please see Mr. Karsch to place an order
So what happens at a belt grading?
- You will be asked to show your practiced stances (ie walking stance), strikes, blocks and kicks.
- You will then be asked to do the pattern associated with your belt. If you are grading for a higher belt then you will have to remember all the patterns up to your current belt as well.
- You will also be asked to lightly spar. This part of the examination shows that you are able to implement the kicks and techniques that you have already practiced in class.
- In the self defense portion you will demonstrate one-steps.
- Terminology – showing that you know a few of the common terms in Korean.
- Board breaking! This part is generally quite exciting and although optional, we encourage all who want to break a board to give it a shot!
After the testing is done, Mr. and Mrs. Karsch have arranged for everyone to enjoy a light lunch to celebrate the newly minted colour belts and all their hard work!
If anyone has any questions, please don’t hesitate to speak with Mr. Karsch.
Belt gradings are an exciting and important step in your journey in taekwondo. A new belt represents all the hard work you have done and is something to be very proud of 🙂